Thursday 27 February 2014

CSS




3 major CSS weaknesses
  •  Lack of essential basic features
  • Hard to maintain (huge messy CSS files)
  • Not DRY enough - leads to mistakes
“Variables... finally!”

Less, Sass, Stylus

You have to use 

  • for less variables
  • $   for Sass
  • = for Stylus
Less, Sass, Stylus They don't enhance CSS, but improve your development workflow


$my_blue: #4e6cb0; // Sass
@my_blue: #4e6cb0; // Less
my_blue = #4e6cb0; // Stylus
$primary_color: $my_blue;
h1 {
color: $primary_color;
}

$fonts: Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif;
$images_path: "../img/"
$font-size: 1.5em;
$margin: 20px;
$width: 80%;


Color functions
$light_blue: lighten($my_blue, 20%);
$flashy_blue: saturate($my_blue, 50%);

Nesting
.link {
            &:hover {
                    }
}
// ======== OUTPUT ========
.link {}
.link:hover {}

Don't nest too much (4 levels max)

  • Sass is written in Ruby
  • Less and Stylus are written in JavaScript
- This does NOT mean you need Ruby or Node on your production server to use them.
- You need them on your 
development machine

No comments:

Post a Comment